I teach a few drop-in yoga classes each week:
- Tuesdays 4-5 pm, this is refreshing, therapeutic class for anyone living with cancer (and their caregivers) as part of the Katzen Cancer Research Center. The class — held on the campus of the George Washington University — is free, and you are most welcome to drop in anytime you want, but please RSVP to Eva Ruiz, patient navigator (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can tell you the location, and bring enough mats. Read more about the class here: gwcancermag_yogaarticle_2016
- Tuesdays, 6-7:15 pm, Gentle PM yoga at the Smith Center for Healing & the Arts. This class is especially for those with chronic conditions, cancer or a ton of stress.
- Wednesdays, 7-8:15 pm, Yin Yoga at Circle Yoga
I also teach weekly yoga classes at the Inter-American Development Bank and the Washington International School. Let me know if you work here.
Yin Yoga Immersion, August 24th-26th @ Realignment Studio in DC. Join me in this weekend-long immersion into Yin Yoga, designed for yoga teachers who want to feel more comfortable adding Yin into their teaching practice. More info and register here
For a more in-depth look at Yin Yoga, join my signature 50 hour Yin Yoga Teacher Training this Fall at Radiance Yoga in Old Town Alexandria, September 22-23, October 27-28 and November 17-18. In the first weekend, we dive into anatomy from a fascial and human variation perspective, in the second we learn more about energetic anatomy, using Chinese medicine and Ayurveda as a base, and in the third, we focus on the brain and nervous system, learning about the mind-body connection of stress and trauma and how to shift into resiliency. More info and register here
Reiki Level Two Training, October 5th & 12th, 6-8:30 pm @ the GW Center for Integrative Medicine, $200. Join me and fellow Reiki Master Teacher Luann Jacobs as we lead a small group through the second degree of Reiki over two Friday evenings. Reiki 2 deepens your connection to universal source, increases your capacity to a greater volume of Reiki energy, and strengthens your ability to channel the energy. You will be introduced to three sacred symbols, which serve specific healing functions: (1) powering up the Reiki energy, (2) healing at the mental and emotional level, and (3) healing across time and space. A large part of the training will be centered on the understanding and application of these symbols, along with supervised hands-on practice of advanced Reiki techniques on yourself and others. We will also discuss the ethics of treating others and local resources for volunteering. You will receive two attunements at this level. Homework will include 21 days of self-healing, and ten documented sessions on others. Prerequisite: Certificate from your Reiki 1 Training, and permission from Luann and Yael. To register, please call the Center at 202-833-5055 during regular business hours.
Join me and spiritual intuitive Amanda Rieger Green for a Eco-Healing Retreat in Belize from December 8th-13th! We’ll be staying in a magical 400 acre private rainforest reserve complete with medicine trails and a beautiful river, and doing excursions to Mayan ruins and a snorkeling day in the keys. More info here.
PLEASE BE IN TOUCH IF YOU’D LIKE TO ARRANGE A WORKSHOP, CLASS OR BRING ME TO YOUR SPECIAL EVENT! Some I’ve taught recently include….
* Yoga Therapy for Special Populations or Conditions. I can customize a six- to eight-week program for your population or condition. By way of example, I have taught yoga for people dealing with cancer, yoga for insomnia, yoga for grief, and yoga for medical school students. Contact me for more details.
* Pen & Pose: A Workshop in Yoga and Writing. I offer these workshops regularly to help participants use literal and metaphorical vehicles to discover parts of themselves that have laid dormant, sometimes for decades. Since 2007, I have taught Pen & Pose at libraries, universities, poetry festivals, art galleries, and hospices.
* At Ease: A Workshop in Yoga and Myofascial Release (co-taught with Michelle Deslauriers). Most yoga classes pay far more attention to the myo (muscle) than to the fascia, a web-like connective tissue that runs uninterrupted from your head to your toes and envelops, protects, supports and becomes a part of every muscle, nerve, blood vessel, bone, and organ down to the cellular level in your body. This is a shame since many pain conditions – from a sore low back to the road to recovery post-surgery – could be effectively treated by releasing strain patterns in the fascia. In this two-hour workshop, you’ll learn how the fascia is a key and often missing ingredient in self-care. We’ll use techniques from both yin yoga and myofascial release to find and release restrictions and open into greater freedom of awareness and movement.
* Breath & Tonic. A combination of breathwork with restorative yoga postures to revitalize. An excellent “chill pill” and especially delightful for those suffering adrenal fatigue, exhaustion, anxiety, or any auto-immune or chronic condition.
* Reiki Training. I offer First and Second Degree training at the GW Center for Integrative Medicine, usually co-taught with Luann Jacobs. Check out http://www.gwcim.com for more information.
* Heart Rate Variability & Contemplative Practices. I’ve co-presented this experiential session in the past for doctors wishing to incorporate mindfulness practices in reducing their patients’ stress and improving health care outcomes, and am happy to teach this to other health care professionals.